Academic Manager MECILA
Job Advertisement Academic Manager
Mecila (Maria Sibylla Merian International Centre for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences Conviviality-Inequality in Latin America) is a joint project of the following German and Latin American research institutions: Freie Universität Berlin (coordination); Ibero-Amerikanisches Institut (Berlin); Universität zu Köln (Cologne); Universidade de São Paulo and Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento (São Paulo); Instituto de Investigaciones en Humanidades y Ciencias Sociales (Universidad Nacional de La Plata/Conicet, La Plata); and El Colegio de México (Mexico City). The Centre builds on an international research network that focuses on the co-constitution of conviviality and inequality from an interdisciplinary perspective and addresses the processes of negotiation, legitimation, transformation, and representation of existing hierarchies as they take place in everyday interactions and within institutions. Established in 2017 and headquartered in São Paulo, the Centre is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). For more details, please see: http://mecila.net/
Mecila invites candidates to apply for the position of Academic Manager for a period of 2 years, renewable for another 2 years, starting in April 2022. The salary is compatible with the level of demands and responsibilities of the position.
- Management experience, in particular of international scientific projects or networks.
- Effective leadership, teamwork, and communication skills, as well as talent for organisation and ability to work in an autonomous, creative, and structured way.
- A PhD degree in the humanities or the social sciences;
- Excellent oral and written command of English and German, and at least good command of Portuguese;
- Willingness to reside in São Paulo and to travel (in Brazil and abroad).
- Experience with academic and research funding systems;
- Good oral and written command of Spanish;
- Interest in and familiarity with the thematic focus of the Centre.
- Overall management of the Centre, including the implementation of the measures decided by Mecila’s Executive Board and Board of Directors, coordination of communication with the consortium institutions, management of the Centre’s Coordination Office (including personnel administration, management of financial resources in collaboration with German third party funding administration, and coordination of substantive and financial reporting);
- Management of a coordination team including four employees and four student assistants;
- Support to the cooperation and exchange among Mecila’s Investigators and Fellows;
- Cooperation with local partners and institutions to consolidate the Centre;
- Conception and coordination of academic events;
- Coordination of applications for fund raising;
- Other relevant coordination activities.
Applicants are invited to send the following documents in German, English, Spanish, or Portuguese via e-mail as a single pdf-attachment no later than 06 February 2022 to the Coordination Office in São Paulo (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Motivation letter (max. 500 words);
- Curriculum Vitae (max. 3 pages);
- Copy of relevant diplomas and certificates.
For further inquiries regarding the position or the application process, please contact Mecila’s Coordination Office in São Paulo via e-mail: email@example.com